I had the pleasure to attend a senimar organised by Telstra and it was presented by its CISO – Mike Burgess. He presented on the “5 knows of cyber security”. It was great to re-hear these fundamental principles of a highly complex topic of the moment. Sometimes simplifying the complexity to the basics is worth so much more. Some might say it’s perfectly obvious but it’s nice to see it wrapped up in 5 simple lines.
- Know the value of your data (not just what you think it’s worth but what others think as well (competitors, customers, providers etc)
- Know where your data is (CLOUD – Can’t Locate Our User’s Data)
- Know who has access to it
- Know who is protecting it
- Know how well it is protected
Here is the link to the original whitepaper.